The purpose of this analysis was to assess in patients with type 2 diabetes and stable coronary artery disease (CAD) whether the risk of all-cause mortality and cardiovascular events varied according to the presence or absence of angina and angina equivalent symptoms.
Data on the prognostic value of symptoms in these patients are limited.
Post-hoc analysis was performed in 2,364 patients with type 2 diabetes and documented CAD enrolled in the BARI 2D (Bypass Angioplasty Revascularization Investigation 2 Diabetes) trial to determine the occurrence of death and composite of death, myocardial infarction, and stroke during a 5-year follow-up according to cardiac symptoms at baseline.
There were 1,434 patients with angina (A), 506 with angina equivalents (E), and 424 with neither of these (N). The cumulative death rates (total 316) were 12% in A, 14% in E, and 10% in N (p = 0.3), and cardiovascular composite rates (total 548) were 24% in A, 24% in E, and 21% in N (p = 0.5). Compared with N, the hazard ratios adjusted for confounders were not different for death in A (1.11; 99% CI: 0.81 to 1.53) and E (1.17; 99% CI: 0.81 to 1.68) or for cardiovascular events in A (1.17; 99% CI: 0.92 to 1.50) and E (1.11; 99% CI: 0.84 to 1.48).
Whatever their symptom status, patients with type 2 diabetes and stable CAD were at similar risk of cardiovascular events and death. These findings suggest that these patients may be similarly managed in terms of risk stratification and preventive therapies. (Bypass Angioplasty Revascularization Investigation 2 Diabetes [BARI 2D]; NCT00006305)